To appeal to the newest group of homebuyers, millennials, your home needs to meet their generation specific needs. If your renovation budget doesn’t allow for all of the below additions, adding one or two to your house’s perks can make a big difference when you’re ready to sell.
- Open Floorplan: Realtors are hearing this more and more. Open floorplans are more often than not, a deal breaker for millennials. They want their homes to be open air and inviting instead of overly divided. Open floorplan homes are ideal for socializing and entertaining, and this is on the top of many of millennial’s lists.
- Backyard Decks: Millennials want to make the most of every square inch of their dream homes. This includes their backyards- making backyard decks a must have for many homebuyers in their 20s and 30s. This is a less expensive addition that you can add before listing your property that will be a big plus to potential buyers- of all ages in fact.
- Gourmet Kitchen: A newly updated kitchen will by far give you the most return on your investment. What qualifies as a gourmet kitchen? Anything above and beyond the ordinary. Consider adding state-of-the-art appliances, a high-end surface such as granite or siletstone, and loads of smart storage.
- Vegetable Garden: Are we actually suggesting a vegetable garden as an upgrade? Yes, we are! Millennials are returning to their roots- literally. They want the farm fresh produce their grandmothers grew without the jarring prices you have to pay at the supermarket. Taking matters into their own hands and growing produce themselves is becoming more and more popular among this age group.
- Self-sufficiency: Millennials are drawn to impressively self-sufficient houses. The more self-sufficient a home is, the more energy it will save. An alarm system, HVAC system and lighting that works off the touch of a mobile device is all the rage among this generation.